[extropy-chat] Cryoplanning

Johnius Johnius at Genius.UCSD.edu
Thu Dec 11 02:15:10 UTC 2003

Hi all,
  I was on an earlier version of this list in the 90's.
I imagine a great deal has changed/transpired since then...

  I recently caught the PBS show with Suze Orman, and
ended up getting her Portfolio Protection System, which
seems potentially quite useful.  I couldn't help but
notice, of course, that a primary emphasis of hers is
what to do legally/financially upon one's "death". She
said everyone should have a Will, many should have a
Living Revocable Trust, and all should have Durable
Powers of Attorney for Healthcare and Finances.

  That's all well and good, but what about those who
are seriously planning on getting cryopreserved upon
"death"?  This line of thinking lead me again to consider
signing up with some cryonics organization and to finally
get a solid legal and (affordable) financial plan in place.
And that, among other things, led me back here.

  I have several questions that I'm hoping you can
help me resolve:

1. Which cryonics organization should I go with?  Is
there available a comparison of their various features,
costs, plans, options, etc.?  When I was here last, Alcor
seemed to be the popular choice, but I'd like to fully
consider all my options ... other organizations may now
exist giving Alcor serious competition.

2. What do I need to do legally to make my plan happen?
I've read there are potential problems legally with honoring
cryopreservation, and I want to make sure my plan happens
as intended.

3. How shall I fund it?  I'm vested in my university's
pension plan ... can I simply set things up to have that
cover the cost of at least cryo-preserving my head?  I'd
also want to set up my Will, Trust, Powers of Attorney,
etc. to support my plan ... to have my estate/net-worth
held for me to finance my continued cryo-preservation
and to be there for me upon re-animation (assuming that
money will still mean something then).  I think I can scrape
together enough $ to cover the costs without having to sign
up for life insurance, but I'm not sure about that.

  There are other questions/issues, but this is a good
start I think ... and I suspect these have been answered
already somewhere, in which case I'd be thankful for a
pointer to the relevant documents.

Best, John McPherson