[extropy-chat] Electronic voting vendors create an Election Technology Council

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 gpmap at runbox.com
Thu Dec 11 07:40:22 UTC 2003

>From Computerworld: Six vendors of election systems have formed a trade
group to address lingering questions about security and ethics in the
electronic voting industry. The six vendors, teaming with the Information
Technology Association of America (ITAA), announced yesterday that they have
formed the Election Technology Council (ETC), which will attempt to write a
code of ethics and review security best practices in the industry, members
said.
"The ballot box is sacred to our American democracy," said David Hart,
chairman of both the ETC and Hart InterCivic Inc. "We're now talking about
sweeping changes to devices people use to vote. ... It's not surprising
questions have arisen about the ability of this technology to support so
heavy a responsibility. We welcome these questions, and we assert our rights
as reputable, hard-working elections technology companies, to answer those
questions in an honest and forthright manner."
I think we will have to wait some time for operational electronic voting,
but when the time of this technology comes it is going to make a big impact.
For example it will be possible to formally (and informally) consult
citizens much more frequently at a given cost.