[extropy-chat] Umberto Eco: In Defense of Vegetal Memory

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 gpmap at runbox.com
Thu Dec 11 17:11:08 UTC 2003

There's something about holding a sleek tablet PC in your hands, feeling the plastic, and reading the softcopy word that even a good paper book can't quite make up for. Really, my sentence is as valid as yours. I agree that e-book technology still has to progress, but progress it will: very long battery life, flexible paper-like screens, at same points e-book will have all the advantages of books with none of the disadvantages, and there will be little to choose.
When I was a kid I liked to smell books, there was something in the smell of some types of paper that made me think the book was good. Someone may miss that, but if many do then some will put parfume generators in tablet PCs.

---
There's something about holding a book in your hands, feeling the paper, and reading the printed word that even a good e-book reader can't quite make up for.  It's like the difference between having fast food and going to a five-star restaurant... sure, the former is *sufficient* nourishment, but if it's an experience you want, you're going to choose the latter.