[extropy-chat] Doubt and About

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 12 03:17:39 UTC 2003

> --- Max More <max at maxmore.com> wrote:
> > Any comments on Ron Bailey's recent piece on global warming?
> >
> > How Hot Is It?
> > Global warming creeps along
> > November 19, 2003
> > http://www.reason.com/rb/rb111903.shtml
>
> Yeah, from the article:
> ...Neither one of those temperature
> increases is going to cause much of a catastrophe." "
>
> The error in this prediction is that it assumes that temperature
> increases linearly with carbon dioxide levels. This is false...
> Given that even the so called experts are ignoring the diminishing
> returns curve of CO2, it is become more than a hoax, it is to be
> concluded that there is massive negligence if not intentional fraud
> going on...Mike

That's what it looks like to me too, but I have an idea.  As
Harvey pointed out, we should be looking at ways of dealing
with rising sea levels (if they rise).  I suggest doing projects
that will help a bunch of people even if the promised global
warming doesn't happen.  Such as: build huge dams along the
Nile, and send water into an enormous east-west canal that
spans the entire Sahara Desert cutting across Sudan, Chad,
Niger and perhaps ending somewhere in Mali.  It seems to me
absurd that any of the fresh water in the Nile should be
wastefully dumped into the sea!  Use it to supply that
vast thirsty continent of North Africa.  Then once it becomes
a decent place to live, import a whole bunch of development-
minded people from all over the world, to set up businesses
and factories and such.  We should terraform the Sahara.

The greens talk about how bad it is to waste water, then fail
to support the building dams to save that water.  If it evaporates
and then later falls as rain somewhere else in the desert,
that is recycling!  Not only that, but building a mega-
project like that would supply jobs to jillions of
hungry people, and put farms where there is now nothing
but empty desert wasteland.  We should propose diverting most
of the water in Africa inland, perhaps transporting it
via pipeline, the way we send water from Mono Lake down
to Los Angeles today.

Same with the Murray and the Snowy Rivers of Australia:
divert that valuable fresh water inland to the arid
interior, don't pour it into the sea.

If sea levels rise, we could make enormous inland fresh
water lakes in the Sahara, the Australian interior, the
central valley of Taxifornia, places where there is nooooothing
today.  I would think we could even lower the sea a couple tenths of
a meter from where it is now, to give the Venicians and Dutch
a break.  Why not?