[extropy-chat] BIO: Chimps and Humans

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 12 14:19:32 UTC 2003

> Subject: [extropy-chat] BIO: Chimps and Humans
>
> Some of you may have noticed the posting of the chimpanzee genome
> and the results of some chimp-human gene comparisons.  The short
> summary is that it looks like humans have been on an evolutionary
> fast track over the last 100,000 years.
>
> NY Times summary:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/12/science/12GENO.html?pagewanted=print

AHA!  Just what I thought: humans might evolve faster than
other beasts because the mechanism of mate selection is
particularly effective when the beasts in question sit
around and share ideas about which potential mates are the
most desireable ones.  This explains why humans have gone
open loop while the other beasts are evidently in
equilibrium: gene expression is an extension
of meme expression.