[extropy-chat] delta 4

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Fri Dec 12 16:51:03 UTC 2003

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Mike Lorrey wrote:

> ... joined together and can lift up to 13,130 kg (28,950 pounds) to
> geosynchronous transfer orbit. [snip]
> This booster competes directly with the space shuttle. That cargo size
> is for GEOSYNCH!!!!

This is probably a question for Mike or Spike -- I'm curious does one
gain anything by sacrificing time-to-geosync?  We have the example
now of the Europeans taking the slow boat to the moon with Smart-1
using ion propulsion -- does one gain anything by using ion propulsion
to get sats from GTO into GSO even though it might take months instead
of hours?  (Xenon is certainly heavier than other solid or liquid fuels...)
Are ion engines inherently lighter or heavier than traditional rocket engines?

Robert