[extropy-chat] Purpose of the Extropian Institute

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Fri Dec 12 21:02:43 UTC 2003

--- Harvey Newstrom <mail at HarveyNewstrom.com> wrote:
> The future is not being invented here!

That's debatable, but let's say for sake of argument
that you're correct, because that seems to lead to a
more interesting problem.

> And we will
> never fix this problem
> until enough of us recognize the truth.

Even if we all agreed, what would you have done?  This
is a place to discuss, to inform.  We can, at best,
provide leads to the "real" developers, and some
helpful imagination.  (Of course, said connections and
imaginations are, themselves, real assets of business
value.  They are not sufficient by themselves, but
they are necessary in practice.)

Now...if ExI could start tapping into ways of funding
research to accomplish our aims, and direct said
funding, would that be closer to what you imagine we
should do?  Or did you have some other specific
solution in mind?