[extropy-chat] Purpose of the Extropian Institute

natashavita at earthlink.net natashavita at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 12 23:26:38 UTC 2003

From: Harvey Newstrom

>Adrian Tymes wrote,
>> Now...if ExI could start tapping into ways of funding research to
>> accomplish our aims, and direct said funding, would that be closer to
>> what you imagine we should do?  Or did you have some other specific
>> solution in mind?

>Believe it or not, solutions are easy.  Our problem is goals.  The problem
>is not that we put all our efforts into a clearly defined goal and then
>failed.  I doubt that would happen.  Our problem is that we don't have
>clearly defined goals, we don't have specific steps toward each goal, and
>nobody really knows what we should be doing beyond just talking about how
>great this stuff will be someday.

Good point Harvey.

My suggestion is to join the planning team for the ExI Summit (mentioned
briefly last month's newsletter).  This weekend Greg Burch is coming in
from Houston and we will having a meeting Sunday Morning. After ExI's last
Summit meeting in Houston in November, we have been boiling it down to a
specific, clear-cut purpose.  With so many goal options, finding just the
right one is the key.

best,
Natasha

Natasha Vita-More