[extropy-chat] Re: POL(L): The Constitution of Europe

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Sat Dec 13 22:23:05 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "JDP" <jacques at dtext.com>
To: "Dirk Bruere" <dirk at neopax.com>; "ExI chat list"
<extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Sent: Saturday, December 13, 2003 9:56 PM
Subject: POL(L): The Constitution of Europe

> Dirk Bruere wrote:
>
> > From: <scerir at libero.it>
> >>
> >>It seems to me obvious that you cannot
> >>build a federation of (6, then 15, then 25)
> >>very different states, having very different
> >>histories (and reciprocal wars), populations,
> >>religions, etc., starting  from the economy
> >>and markets, Political issues come first .
> >>The EU founding fathers knew that very well.
> >

> > On the contrary.
> > What we definately don't need is a poor copy of the US with its
centralised
> > federal govt, which is what the EU is/was aiming for.
>
> Do/did we need a formal Europe at all? Are European Extropes pro-Europe?
> Why?

Because having a relatively coherent economic bloc of around 450m people is
a base which can wield enough power to maintain the economic and military
independence of its member states with respect to other world forces.

However, I am not in favour of an EU govt in Brussels that feels it can poke
its nose into the purely internal workings of its member states eg criminal
law, various Rights issues etc. The EU should be limited to inter national
issues only.

Dirk

The Consensus:-
The political party for the new millennium
http://www.theconsensus.org