[extropy-chat] internet car sale scam

Sun Dec 14 01:06:37 UTC 2003

Yes, this is extremely rare to catch the scam in the act.  Usually people
ignore the scam if they recognize it, or figure it out after it is too late.
I would say definitely call the U.S. Secret Service 202-406-5572 and tell
them that you have a scam in progress that the perp wants more money wired
to him.  This is the perfect opportunity to set up a sting and catch this
guy when he comes to pick up the money.  (You should not even have to really
send money, just tell him you will send it to the specified place and time.)

If the U.S. Secret Service won't help out, I can try to arrange something
with Private Investigators or Bounty Hunters.  But I am afraid my contacts
would be quasi-legal, would want to be paid for an operation, and probably
wouldn't afford you any legal recourse or legal recovery anyway.

--
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
Certified IS Security Pro, Certified IS Auditor, Certified InfoSec Manager,