[extropy-chat] POL(L): The Constitution of Europe

J Corbally jcorb at iol.ie
Sun Dec 14 01:43:41 UTC 2003

At 04:45 PM 12/13/03 -0700, you wrote:
>Message: 23
>Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 22:56:34 +0100
> >From: JDP <jacques at dtext.com>
>Subject: [extropy-chat] POL(L): The Constitution of Europe
>To: Dirk Bruere <dirk at neopax.com>,      ExI chat list
>         <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
>
>Dirk Bruere wrote:
>
> > From: <scerir at libero.it>
> >>
> >>It seems to me obvious that you cannot
> >>build a federation of (6, then 15, then 25)
> >>very different states, having very different
> >>histories (and reciprocal wars), populations,
> >>religions, etc., starting  from the economy
> >>and markets, Political issues come first .
> >>The EU founding fathers knew that very well.
> >

> > On the contrary.
> > What we definately don't need is a poor copy of the US with its centralised
> > federal govt, which is what the EU is/was aiming for.
>
>Do/did we need a formal Europe at all? Are European Extropes pro-Europe?
>Why?

Depends on what you mean by pro-Europe.  If you mean no physical or trade
barriers, to enjoy different cultures and options without restraint, then
I'm pro-Europe.

If you mean, as has been said "a poor copy of the US", then no, I wouldn't
be pro-that-kind-of-Europe.  Neither am I pro the current Constitution, as
the vast majority of Europeans have no conception of the difference between
a document bestowing freedoms, next to one restricting a Governments
ability to infringe on freedoms.  Many people here still beleive their
rights spring from their Constitutions.  A dangerous error.

I'm not pro a Europe whose Constitution has within it a restriction on
reproductive rights were none should be (or at very least, delegated to the
legislation of individual states, even that not being a good solution).

And don't even get me started on the whole "mention God" fiasco.

James...

PS - Anyone hear about the likelihood of the French passing a law banning
all religious symbols and garments from schools?