[extropy-chat] Affective computing: Candy bars for the soul

Alejandro Dubrovsky alito at organicrobot.com
Sun Dec 14 18:45:53 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 01:22, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 02:01:15PM +0000, BillK wrote:
>
> > When 'Laura' becomes available it will certainly cause a tremendous
> > upheaval in human relationships.
>
> Among plastic people, maybe. And RealDoll fetishists.

While i don't agree with the original poster, I think you are
underestimating the RealDoll market if those things went for $20 from
the corner sex shop instead of $6000.

> Come on, this isn't a yet another iRobot gadget. You never noticed what
> happens when you get to the almost-human territory? You're firmly in the
> "OMG, it's so KREEPY!!!1" Twilight Zone territory.
> The problem is still a Turing test, but this time it's not just teletype.

No, but this time, it's private, so there's less social pressure to go
"yuck, i wouldn't do that".  Men will fuck anything that moves, and half
the things that don't.  It's just a coincidence that the palm of a hand
has the highest realism/effort index.

alejandro