[extropy-chat] FWD (Got Caliche?) PowerPoint is Evil! ...again

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 15 04:51:36 UTC 2003

--- "Terry W. Colvin" <fortean1 at mindspring.com> wrote:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/14/magazine/14POWER.html
>
> What if PowerPoint is actually making us stupider?

I dispute this. Power Point is used to get the point across to the
terminally uninterested. I recall giving talks to contractors and
energy conservation officers about market distortions caused by
improper implementations of conservation rebates, with very informative
Excel generated 3 axis graphs illustrating cost-benefit thresholds and
so forth. They used to bitch that I gave them headaches with so much
information, at least those that did not glaze over. Then some cute
little marketing bimbo would come in from the competitors and make a
bunch of unsupported claims with a power point presentation full of
bulleted lists and these guys would be yabbering her 'facts' for weeks
afterward.... Power Point: comic books for commerce...

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark
                                       - Mike Lorrey