[extropy-chat] World population in the year 2300

aperick at centurytel.net aperick at centurytel.net
Thu Dec 18 23:00:19 UTC 2003

Kevin Freels wrote:
>I was just running some numbers. Feel free to correct me if I did it wrong.
If the world population is will be 9 billion and we put everyone in the
state of Texas (268,601 square miles), everyone would have 832 square feet
to themselves. Am I missing something here? Where's the crisis?
/>

Ooooo, fun with numbers. But why assume the continued existence of Homo
sapiens three hundred years from now? Such an idea seems soooo provincial.
All one needs is a splash of optimism, a measure of creativity and an
overdose of foresight to generate much juicier numbers. After uploading
eight billion brains, the open pit copper mine in Utah (Kennecott's Bingham
Canyon Mine) is just the right size to neatly accommodate the resulting mass
of useless human flesh. And, if each man rubbed one out as a farewell to
reality their combined "product" could fill a cube measuring sixty feet on
each edge. If the last burning man festival could be held in Antarctica (and
be renamed melting man) I should like to hereby call dibs on the
aforementioned jiz - I have an "ice" sculpture in mind: a pair of life-sized
whales perhaps (guess what species). But what to call it? Maybe Onan's
revenge? Or just the equally obvious "all that jiz"?