[extropy-chat] Paul Allen to be fourth Space Power

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 19 17:16:26 UTC 2003

--- Harvey Newstrom <mail at harveynewstrom.com> wrote:
> Mike Lorrey wrote,
> > This release from Scaled Composites confirms rumors that
> > Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen is the financial backer of
> > the SpaceShipOne project. If Scaled succeeds in winning the
> > x-prize, this will make Paul Allen the fourth economic power
> > in the world to gain independent manned space launch
> > capability. IMHO this absolves Microsoft of all, or maybe
> > just most, of all the evil things it has done...
>
> I hope it crashes less than Windows....  :-)

Good one. In fact, as of the 17th, SpaceShipOne has logged over ten
test flights, both captive carry with its mothership, air drops for
glide landings, and full in flight engine tests with increasing amounts
of fuel. The last was an engine test that took SpaceShipOne to 68,000
feet and 930 mph (its first supersonic flight). This gradually
expanding flight test regime is in keeping with standard commercial,
military, and civil aircraft development intended for regular flight
operations, allowing extensive engineering analysis of each test flight
as conditions gradually grow more severe. No high risk all or nothing flights.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark
                                       - Mike Lorrey