[extropy-chat] when will computers improve?

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 20 01:06:26 UTC 2003

Keep an eye on all those TSRs that run down on the right hand end of
the task bar. They tend to pile up a lot. I have also noticed, at least
in XP, that many such programs that you install that should display an
icon down there don't, though the programs are running if you bring up
the task list in task manager.
Another thing that east resources are fonts. If you are not a graphic
designer, you really don't need a thousand and one fonts. Minimizing
your fonts down to a few dozen saves tons of resources.
Still another thing is a funky desktop image and lots of sounds and
animations on your icons and cursor actions. Get rid of em.

--- BillK <bill at wkidston.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri Dec 19, 2003 05:29 pm Kevin Freels wrote:
> > Once I have my soundcard driver, mouse driver, video card
> > driver, ZoneAlarm, DSL (EnterNet 300 which sucks all by itself),
> and
> > Norton AV running, I get resources available of 68%.
> >

> Sounds excessive to me.
> I have Win98, 256MB memory, and when I load all the drivers, plus
> Nvidia
> graphics drivers plus Cable Internet, Sygate Personal firewall, AVG
> antivirus and Mozilla Mail and Browser, I have resources available of
> about 83% GDI, 80% USER and 80% SYSTEM.
>
> I usually have lots more than this running quite happily.
>
> Try different software?
>
> BillK

=====
Mike Lorrey