[extropy-chat] PROG: Alan's APEX

Alan Eliasen eliasen at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 20 19:26:33 UTC 2003

Mike Lorrey wrote:
> Downloaded the large version, APEX, last night and I must say that it
> delivers a full selection of very useful free programs, and they are
> all virus free, according to my latest updated McAfee. Good work Alan!

   Just to note, there is a difference between the APEX and the APE.
The APE contains "installed" programs that can be run directly from the
CD.  The APEX contains the *installers* for those programs, (so you have
to run a bunch of install programs yourself if you want to use them) and
installers for programs that, for some reason or another, cannot or
should not run directly off of a CD (e.g. they need to write some
garbage to the registry during installation, or they write temporary
files to their own directory at runtime.)

   Just so ya know.  For drop-in-and-run portability, the APE's the thing.

> One thing I am wondering, though, Alan, can you give a list of what
> programs have potential spyware issues, as a form of buyer beware awareness???

   I know of no spyware or nags in any of the programs.  They wouldn't
be on there if they did (I have to take this to security-paranoid
clients.)  The only thing that I know of is that Java 1.4.2 (and not
previous versions, I believe) can periodically check to see if there's a
new version of Java available.  It may be turned on by default, if you
actually install Java 1.4.2 on your system (as opposed to just running
it off the APE.)

   You can turn this behavior on and off from the Java Plug-in control
panel (available from the Windows Control Panel.)  I believe the process
jusched.exe will be visible in your task list if this is running.

   "On the day 9 of each month at 6:00 AM, Java Update will check for
updates.  An icon will appear in the system tray if an update is
available.  Move the cursor over the icon to see the status of the
update.  You will be notified before the update is downloaded and before
it is installed."

   Since this is new in 1.4.2, the latest version, I've never seen an
update happen.  In my experience, Sun's on the up-and-up, and I don't
consider this spyware at all, but rather a good way to get timely (?!)
bugfixes.

   For those who missed the original message,

   The description of the tools available is here:
 http://futureboy.homeip.net/ape/

  Images can be downloaded from here:
 http://futureboy.homeip.net/apezip/

--
  Alan Eliasen                 | "You cannot reason a person out of a
  eliasen at mindspring.com       |  position he did not reason himself