[extropy-chat] when will computers improve?

Joseph S. Barrera III joe at barrera.org
Sat Dec 20 20:29:20 UTC 2003

Alan Eliasen wrote:

>   The fact that the cygwin1.dll file isn't well-versioned and
>poorly-licensed makes it difficult to coexist with multiple versions of
>cygwin or redistribute anything linked with cygwin.
>
>   It also stinks that mountpoints are crammed into the registry (why?)
>and aren't on a per-process basis; it makes it impossible to have
>different processes using different versions of cygwin or even different
>mount points.  It makes it hard to have two versions of the APE running
>well at the same time.  (Actually, everything works *but* cygwin.)

God, more cygwin lovers/victims out there!

I maintain a product that uses an embedded postgres database, and which
allows
side by side installs of different versions, each with its own postgres
database.
Which means multiple embedded installations of cygwin. What a nightmare.

Can't wait until postgres runs on win32 w/o cygwin... coming RSN
except that the postgres_win32 team is still figuring out how to natively
emulate signals on win32. Aghh.

- Joe