[extropy-chat] when will computers improve?

Kevin Freels kevinfreels at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 20 20:51:20 UTC 2003

> Has anyone had happy experiences with taking an internal drive, putting it
> in an enclosure, and using it as an external drive?

I'm running two seagate 7200 rpm 40GB hard drives, both partitioned to 20
GB. C and E are the first drive and D and F are the second. C is just my
system and software, D is a copy of the entire drive. D is all my data, and
it is backed up to F. I use NovaStor backup to do the backing up daily. This
only backs up files that have changed, new files, and deletes files that no
long exist, so they are pretty much exact copies.

I also backup once a week to a DVD RW and then once per month, I switch to a
new DVD RW and save the previous one as it is. The weekly ones go in a fire
safe and the monthly ones in a safe-deposit box. I guess that's all a bit
anal, but in a worse case scenario, my customer data is irreplaceable.

I used to have a 20GB drive in a box that was portable. It was an SCSI
interface and I had pretty good luck with it. I've heard you can now do this
with USB, but I haven;t seen it in action.