[extropy-chat] Affective computing: Candy bars for the soul

Mark Walker mark at permanentend.org
Sun Dec 21 17:03:00 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robin Hanson"
Probably
> the biggest way in which our minds have been misled, relative to the
> ancient problems they were designed to solve, is whatever it is that
causes
> the demographic transition, causing rich societies to have far fewer
> children than evolution could possibly have "intended."  I wish we
> understood this better; it might give us a better clue about the other
> problems.

I'm not sure I understand the problem you are alluding to here Robin. If I
understand the question then I wonder why the "simple" answer is not
correct. If you'll forgive the teleological talk, evolution "wants" us to
have as many viable offspring as possible. Until very recently evolution was
able to achieve this "desired" end by us wanting to have sex and wanting to
raise our own children. Evolution never had to "worry" about us not wanting
children but now with birth control this is possible. The point then is that
wanting to raise our own children is conceptually and causally distinct from
wanting children. Evolution never had to deal with the midpoint in the
causal chain between having sex and wanting to raise our own children. So if
this is correct then what would be more surprising is if rich societies
never acted on their desire for sex, or if when children were on the way
many parents in rich societies gave them up for adoption. In terms of
maximizing one's viable progeny giving up as many children for adoption
might make the most evolutionary sense. This would allow one to focus one's
energies on reproducing rather than squandering them on breast feeding,
midnight diaper changes and other physically and emotionally draining
activities.

Cheers,

Mark
Mark Walker, PhD
Research Associate, Philosophy, Trinity College
University of Toronto
Room 214  Gerald Larkin Building
15 Devonshire Place
Toronto