[extropy-chat] What ever became of Crit?

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Sun Dec 21 18:18:14 UTC 2003

--- Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 21, 2003 at 05:36:41PM +0000, Christian
> Weisgerber wrote:
> > Are there any other Web annotation system out
> there?
>
> The web is dead, it's just it doesn't know it yet.
> Unfortunately, it's
> successor (a distributed persistent cryptographic
> storage and publishing
> infrastructure) hasn't been invented yet.

Ha, and ha again.  The Web will remain alive until
something better comes along to replace it.

> We can't take crit there,

If so, Crit is non-viable.

I suspect that Crit-like systems tend to fall prey to
the downside of the network effect.  That is, systems
like these become useful roughly with the square of
the number of users using them - which means that they
are not very useful at all if there are only a few
users!  This is the same thing that doomed a number of
the dot-bombs: the idea might be good and useful if
you have a lot of users, but without a way to get said
many users that does not, as a prerequisite, require
already having a lot of users (and/or the utility that
only comes after you have many users), the dreamt of
value never comes to pass.