[extropy-chat] sjbrain calcs

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sun Dec 21 18:48:11 UTC 2003

> Eugen Leitl

> Are you trying to prevent polar collisions via electrostatic
> potential? At few km/s orbital velocities? This is broken at so many
> levels I have troubles to begin.
>
> -- Eugen* Leitl <a href="http://leitl.org">leitl</a>

No.  I had in mind prevention of collision between particles
with relative velocities of a few cm/sec.  Actually charge control
is not so much prevention of collision but a useful tool in
maintaining spacing between nodes in the same orbit.   The
collisions aren't the problem, this being a trivial matter with
picogram particles.  The problem I am trying to avoid is having
them stick together because of van der Waal's forces.

The particles with velocity vectors differing by km/sec are
nowhere near each other.  In the previously-mentioned MBrain
example, the nodes are spaced a meter apart in concentric
rings, each ring a meter apart in radius and tilted a microradian.
So if one goes 1,570,000 meters sunward, the ring is tilted
pi/2 from the original ring.  If one goes 3,140,000 meters
sunward or anti-sunward, the ring is coplanar with the particles
travelling in the opposite direction.

In an SBrain, the same trick is used, concentric non-coplanar
rings, but the whole works is a small sphere (a mere 20 billion
meter diamater) orbitting an hour from the star, not enveloping
the star as in the MBrain.  This scheme takes advantage of
charge control to maintain smaller distances betweeen nodes,
which greatly reduces the amount of energy needed to communicate
between them (recall the inverse square law), as well as reducing
the time to send signals between nodes.

spike

ps I may need a professional writer such as Damien to explain
what I have in mind.  Damien are you grokking this?  s