[extropy-chat] sjbrain calcs

Alan Eliasen eliasen at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 22 08:06:44 UTC 2003

   I'm earnestly following this discussions of Brains the Size of a
Planet and all that, and going a bit insane in the membrane trying to
keep the alphabetical procession of different XYZbrains in order.  Neat
stuff, though.

   Can I ask what may be a silly question?  Why would one build so many
little far-flung nodes instead of a more monolithic structure?  So many
things are simpler, faster, and more efficient with a single
structure--communications, energy expenditure, time lag, that I guess I
don't see why the structure wouldn't be made much more compact.

   For example, let's be way overgenerous and assume each tiny node had
the computational power of a human brain (probably not possible with
only 50 billion atoms) and that it switched at a rather conservative 1
THz.  (We'll assume a classical architecture; it gets worse for
smarter/faster quantum computers.)  This is approximately a factor of a
billion times faster than the fastest neurons in the human brain can
switch.  We'll oversimplify and say that each node thus "thinks" a
billion times faster than a human brain.

   Now, I've talked to people on the other side of the world on the
phone, and the satellite lags were very noticeable and confusing.  We'd
pause too long, interpret silences as reticence, or feel we had said
something wrong, and then both people would start talking at the same
time, only to interrupt each other a half-second later, and then stop
and start over again.  And that's a fraction of a second delay.

   Communicating with someone with a one-minute lag would probably be
pretty inefficient and painful.

   Now, when you have a node that's a billion times faster, and you're
communicating over even a light-second distance, that's an infinity.  It
might be like a billion seconds to a human.  A billion seconds is over
31 years.  It might seem that long to a node to ask a question and get
an answer.  It's like carrying on a conversation with

Using Frink notation, ( http://futureboy.homeip.net/frinkdocs/ ) *

   1 billion seconds -> years
   31.68876

   When communicating over a light-minute radius, a node would grow old
and bored and completely forget the question.  Or at least I would.
It'd have the responsiveness of an IP-via-carrier-pigeon Internet, which
was actually proposed:

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1149.html