[extropy-chat] taxifornia earthquake

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 22 20:46:10 UTC 2003

--- Spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> > Sure but I mean in the big picture the singu
> >
> > WHOA Earthquake!  Light fixtures swinging.  Everyone OK?
> >

> OK I have a chandalier on about a 3 meter chain hanging in
> the front room and it was swinging in the north-south
> direction, and it was a gentle low frequency S-wave, (caused
> me to get a little woozy) so it has evidently travelled a
> long ways, and there are few major faults to the north, so I
> suspect the epicenter was a good 100 km or more to the south of
> San Jose.

I'm suprised you haven't drawn a scale on your wall, or table top, or
ceiling to make your chandelier a good siesmometer.....I recall reading
a story about submariners who hung a pendulum to measure the distance
to depth charge blasts....

USGS says it was a 6.5 and centered in Cambria, halfway to LA from you.

That is my 8th post today. Conversation now shifting to extro-freedom,
where you can say as much as you want without certain people getting peeved....

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark
                                       - Mike Lorrey