[extropy-chat] frequency of BSE and CJD greater than thought?

Charlie Stross charlie at antipope.org
Wed Dec 24 17:29:35 UTC 2003

On 24 Dec 2003, at 16:37, Bill Hibbard wrote:

> There is an alarming article at:
>
>   http://www.monitor.net/rachel/r607.html
>
> Do folks on this list have an assessment of how credible
> this is?

Far as I can tell, it looks like a reasonable summary right up until
the very end. At that point, the author engages in cautious
speculation, which is not in itself unreasonable. However, it's worth
looking to the UK before arguing that large numbers of cases of CJD are
being misdiagnosed as Alzheimer's; over here there has been a lot of
research interest in nvCJD (obviously! -- the "worst case" predictions
that, thankfully, don't seem to have emerged, had up to 30% of us dying
of nvCJD!) with increased emphasis on diagnosis. I'd be very surprised
if coroners in the UK were misdiagnosing their autopsy cases in this
way.

The important points to note are that (a) feeding animal protein to
ruminants clearly acts as a disease amplifier in prion mediated
pathologies -- it's a practice that needs to be stamped out -- and (b)
prion disease are very slow to develop, so there's a lag between the
epidemic commencing and the time at which it impinges on public
awareness. There's also a point (c) which is that farmers don't like
having their herds condemned. In France, cattle which are destroyed
after contracting rabies are eligible for compensation, but cattle
destroyed because of BSE don't receive any subsidy. I seem to recall
reading that the incidence of rabies-infected cattle being destroyed in
France have tripled in the past five years ... we're probably lucky
that the UK was considered a rabies-free zone in the 1980's[*], because
it made the appearance of BSE more obvious.

-- Charlie

[*] The UK isn't actually rabies-free; it was discovered last year that
some rabies strains are endemic in the local bat population, when an
animal conservation officer who was bitten by a bat contracted rabies
and died of it, the first victim in nearly a century. Luckily British
bats are rare enough to mostly qualify as endangered species, and they
don't usually bite unless you go grabbing them in their roosts.