[extropy-chat] when will computers improve?

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Tue Dec 30 03:54:46 UTC 2003

Robert J. Bradbury wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, Kevin Freels wrote:
>
>> As far as uploading and Windows are concerned, how would an
>> operating system for an upload work? Would "you" be the OS, would
>> the OS run "you", or would we do away with the entire concept of an
>> OS altogether?
>
> It would seem there is some form of an O.S. in place already.
> You have I/O mechanisms and something has to decide what
> has the priority to access and manage them.
>
> I would imagine that consciousness perhaps takes over the
> software & hardware functions of setting priorities and
> conflict resolution.

Try as we might, no one has found any central OS acting as the Self in
charge of the mind/body system.  It didn't evolve that way because evolution
doesn't do "design".

Our sense of Self is an illusion, arising out of the interaction of multiple
processes, some competing, others cooperating, interacting with each other
and the environment in a way that blurs the borders of identity.

There is no Master Control Program in the mind.

- Jef

www.jefallbright.net