[extropy-chat] Alert for Suspicious Farmers' Almanacs

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Tue Dec 30 06:19:52 UTC 2003

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, Olga Bourlin wrote:

> In a bulletin sent Christmas Eve to about 18,000 police organizations, the
> FBI said terrorists may use almanacs "to assist with target selection and
> pre-operational planning."

Its not so unreasonable Olga.  I'd like to think I'd be reasonably dangerous
if I chose to take up terrorism as a profession.  (Not quite Mike's level
obviously but probably someone to be taken reasonably seriously.)  I just
checked my bookcase and I've got 3 Almanac's in it.  Largely dated before
Google became available -- but still very information dense.  I could go
through them and come up with a number of examples of useful information
for terrorists but I would prefer not to publish such data.

I'm always *amazed* at the degree to which there is public discussion
of great targets for terrorists.  Last week it was LPG tankers with
planes loaded with radioactive waste, this week it is citing chlorine
storage facilities as good targets.

Robert