[extropy-chat] when will computers improve?

BillK bill at wkidston.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Dec 30 10:12:27 UTC 2003

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 10:21:00 -0800 (PST) Adrian Tymes wrote:
> As someone who uses a computer at all, it is foolish
> to trust Windows.  (I don't need to trust the game
> computer on my desktop, but I do need to trust the
> Linux system running my Web server.)  But "trust" is
> not the same as "ignore"...

Here is a good article which claims that the IT industry is finally
beginning to give up on Microsoft and start the move to open software.
There may well be an element of wishful thinking here but the points
made in the article are sound (i.e. cost, reliability, continual
patching, licensing, security, virus attacks, etc.).
But there is a vast inertia of MS lock-in which has to be overcome
before it will have much effect.

<http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=13350>

We can only hope.

BillK