[extropy-chat] Alert for Suspicious Farmers' Almanacs

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 30 16:50:25 UTC 2003

--- Olga Bourlin <fauxever at sprynet.com> wrote:
> I kid you not ...
>
> http://tinyurl.com/36ye8
>
> FBI urges police to watch for people carrying almanacs
> TED BRIDIS, Associated Press Writer
> Monday, December 29, 2003
> ©2003 Associated Press
> (12-29) 16:18 PST WASHINGTON (AP) --
>
> The FBI is warning police nationwide to be alert for people carrying
> almanacs, cautioning that the popular reference books covering
> everything
> from abbreviations to weather trends could be used for terrorist
> planning.

I don't think something as minor as a Farmer's Almanac is what they are
talking about. It seemed to me that they were talking about those 1000
page plus reference alamanacs you can buy that have data about tons of
things covering the whole country to a far greter degree than the
average road atlas.
While I can understand the leftist need to ridicule this measure by
decribing it as 'farmers almanac', I doubt very much that such a
suggestion would have been sent out if there were not good intelligence
information. The left often displays a rather high degree of hubristic
arrogance that it is so smart that anybody they don't like must be
stupid. That is, however, the nature of leftism, the concept that
people are too dumb for their own good and need to be told how to spend
their money.
I do recall that the books that bin Laden & company developed to train
their people did in fact mention referencing almanacs. If a number of
al quaeda seized here in the US have been found with them in their
posession, then this is in fact a good tip to discern possible suspects
in the future. Suggest you consider that intelligence people may have
much better information sources than you do.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark
                                       - Mike Lorrey