[extropy-chat] REALITY: virtual and intellectual property rightsand values

Acy James Stapp astapp at fizzfactorgames.com
Tue Dec 30 17:59:37 UTC 2003

Greetings all. I bring you a few semi-related thoughts on virtual
economies.

Recently, "Gaming Open Market" opened at
http://www.gamingopenmarket.com/. This is a currency exchange between
many of the different massively multiplayer games and the U.S. dollar.

Now obviously the use of these alternative currencies is currently
restricted to in-game property. Is there any reason that one of the
currencies with a relatively stable exchange rate could be used to
purchase real property? eBay has tons of auctions exchanging virtual
cash or virtual property for real cash, but I've never seen anyone pay
virtual (game) cash for real property.

At what point does the government come in and start taxing your in-game
income?

One complication would be game balancing. It's very hard to balance an
in-game economy, and (foolishly IMHO given the huge budgets) none of the
developers ever hires an economist to do so. Often simple adjustments to
the game can have dramatic consequences to the games economy. Bugs as
well can be introduced and exploited to give exploitative players huge
cash supplies, which devalues the rest of the currency.

There have been several legal actions in the U.S. about this but I can
not find any information on their outcomes at this time.

More information can be found at http://www.nyls.edu/pages/1905.asp.

Acy