[extropy-chat] Spam

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Tue Dec 30 20:03:28 UTC 2003

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, Spike wrote:

> > I suspect that one could catch this with grammer filters but then they
> > would just start taking paragraphs out of public News/BBS posts or
> > some other similar source of human authored text...  Robert

No sooner are the words out of my mouth -- checking my messages
from yesterday that got through my combination of spambouncer
(rule-based filtering) and spamprobe (Bayesian filtering) and
I find a message that has a text portion with ~100K of English
text discussing Darwin, Wallace, evolution, finches, etc.
and a HTML portion that contains the damn SPAM for debt
consolidation.  Interesting I had trained spamprobe to
treat it as SPAM and the keywords that show up as SPAM
indicators include things like "finches".

Frak!
Robert