[extropy-chat] when will computers improve?

Brian Lee brian_a_lee at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 30 22:30:20 UTC 2003

>From: Samantha Atkins <samantha at objectent.com>g>
>To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
>Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] when will computers improve?
>
>Except MS makes it difficult, costly  and severely constrains the
>architecture to build such a farm to start with.  N windows machines are
>not that much more difficult to crack with known security exploits than 1.
>
>- samantha

It is both easy and cheap to set up a windows farm (as is a linux farm) for
a web application using MS web technologies. Any decent web application is
going to have a firewall that blocks everything but 80 and 443 so all those
windows security holes are irrelevant.

I'm not saying that windows is the best OS out there nor that every app
should be built on .Net, but it is a viable architecture (as evidenced by
the tons of sites and apps using it). It is fatiguing to hear people
complain about windows all day while pecking out notes on their powerbook.
Technology should not be a religion.

Give me a couple of linux boxes running java or a couple of 2k boxes running
.Net and you'll get a reliable, secure application either way.

BAL