[extropy-chat] Spam

Tue Dec 30 23:02:20 UTC 2003

Spike wrote,
> Here's one to watch for: one day you get a spam which
> shows a shocking image of child pornography or abuse,
> which pops up without your doing anything.  Then a
> message comes up a little later which claims to be from
> a government agency of some sort, saying that it has
> detected an illegal downloaded image of child pornography
> on the hard disk, making the owner of that computer
> punishable by 10 yrs in the slammer, etc.
>
> It would not surprise me if as many as 10% of the proles
> were to fall for that trick, toss the whole infernal device
> into the trash.  Actually Im surprised something like that
> hasn't already happened.

It has already happened.  There was a case this summer where a person was
arrested for distributing child pornography that was found on his hard
drive.  It turned out that it was installed by a worm without his knowledge
and distributed by spammers.  He had no knowledge of the incident.

--
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
Certified IS Security Pro, Certified IS Auditor, Certified InfoSec Manager,