[extropy-chat] FWD (SK)[Risks} Pointless Security

Charlie Stross charlie at antipope.org
Wed Dec 31 12:02:23 UTC 2003

On 31 Dec 2003, at 06:57, Terry W. Colvin wrote:
> In short, what is the point of this? Other than make-work for
> Government
> employees. Still, at least the website works with Mozilla. I guess I
> should
> be thankful for small mercies.
>
> "Something must be done. This is something. Therefore we will do it."

Ahem.

I travel to the USA on business/pleasure (hey, I *enjoy* my work :)
about twice a year, and I'm planning on increasing that to three or
four times a year shortly. The UK is one of those countries nationals
of which are allowed to travel under the visa waiver scheme, by filling
out a form. There's always an insane queue whenever a 747 arrives, so
yesterday I looked into the pros and cons of applying for a B-1 visa.

After about thirty minutes I came to the conclusion that sticking to
the visa waiver scheme was going to be much, *much* less hostile: less
queuing and it only asks if you were a member of the Nazi party during
1939-45.

It's not just the three-month wait, the requirement for the US embassy
to examine my passport and post it back to me -- stopping me travelling
*anywhere* while they've got it -- the interview, or the fee. Just look
at the form DS-157, required as a supplementary submission for males
aged 18-45, wherever they come from! It's
online at http://travel.state.gov/DS-0157.pdf and it says (ho bloody
ho) that it should take about an hour to fill out. "List all countries
you have entered in the past ten years", "not including current
employer list your last two employers" (including phone number --
great, if you exclude contract work at least one of those companies
ceased trading and laid everybody off but never went into
liquidation!), and "List all professional sociable and charitable
organizations to which you belong/contribute/have worked with (now or
ever)". Not to mention "list all educational institutions you've ever
attended (not including primary schools)" -- again, one of the
university colleges I attended in the 1980's has merged, twice, with
other bodies since that time.

Oh yeah. The box for "list all professional sociable and charitable
organizations ..." is half a line wide and one line deep. Just big
enough to write in "See Appendix B" when you staple the fifty-page
attachment to the form. (My best guess for time to fill out the form --
including the necessary research -- is roughly two to three days. I
mean, my old school is several hundred miles away and moved to new
premises a few years ago -- and they want a telephone contact?)

I can understand this information being needed *sometimes* --
specifically, if you're doing a security clearance for someone who's
about to apply for a job working in the Pentagon -- but as a routine
check on business travellers it doesn't achieve much. The level of
bureaucratic insanity is so high that only people who can't use the
visa waiver scheme (i.e. they *must* be inside the USA for more than 90
consecutive days, they can't just fly home for a weekend at the end of
the twelvth week) will bother; meanwhile the deluge of data produced by
it will end up in a filing cabinet somewhere. It's not structured in
any useful manner so unless there are hordes of clerks copy-typing
stuff into a database it's not being used. And making it this difficult
to apply for a simple non-resident visitor's business visa means that
those queues at immigration will continue to grow longer because the
clerks have to validate the visa waiver forms for every incoming
passenger rather than ID'ing and waving through visa holders.

It's insane! I'm increasingly coming to the conclusion that American
bureaucracy is like the worst possible combination of German and
British bureaucracy -- officious and intrusive on the one part combined
with bumbling and inefficient on the other.

-- Charlie