[extropy-chat] Alert for Suspicious Farmers' Almanacs

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 31 18:16:36 UTC 2003

--- Olga Bourlin <fauxever at sprynet.com> wrote:
> From: "Mike Lorrey" <mlorrey at yahoo.com>
>
> > While I can understand the leftist need to ridicule this measure by
> > decribing it as 'farmers almanac' ...
>
> You understand the leftist need ...? to ridicule ...?  Hmmmm, do you
> suppose the right ever ridicules the left? (if not, then please
> point out how it does not).  While you may correct that the
> almanac to which the article refers may not be the ubiquitous
> Farmers, it doesn't make that entirely clear (and the article
> does invoke a quote from the publisher of the aforesaid ...).

Ah, the REPORTER from the demonstrably left biased press, quotes the
publisher of a Farmers Almanac. Selection effect, anyone????

> BTW, at first I thought this was a joke, but now I'm not so certain
> (do you think this is serious?):
> http://www.thbookservice.com/BookPage.asp?prod_cd=c6230
>
> >The left often displays a rather high degree of hubristic
> > arrogance that it is so smart that anybody they don't like must be
> > stupid.
>
> ... somewhat like the rather high degree of hubristic arrogance
> displayed by the right?

Oh, they aren't innocent either.

> > That is, however, the nature of leftism, the concept that
> > people are too dumb for their own good and need to be told how to
> > spend their money.
>
> ... and what is the *nature* of rightism?  (perhaps, thinking that
> the leftists have a "need to ridicule" ...?)

Oh, the nature of the right is that most people are inherently bad and
need to restrained from their root impulses so they can make it to
heaven and not be a bad influence on other people's kids...

> >Suggest you consider that intelligence people may have
> > much better information sources than you do.
>
> I have a great deal of respect for intelligence people (as long as
> they're rational and intelligent).  I worry about the likes of
> Ashcroft, and stuff like:

Do you actually think that suggestions like the subject matter are
originating from the likes of Ashcroft or Rice? Don't you think that
that is a bit of projection on your part?

> "Condi Rice is as comfortable speaking
> publicly about her faith in God as she is about strategic arms
> reduction and routing out terrorism."
> found in: http://www.christianitytoday.com/cr/2002/005/1.18.html
>
> If the fate of the world rests with people who have conversations
> with god(s), all is lost ...

Do you have equal suspicion about people who spend hours meditating in
communion with the collective subconcious to get their answers? No? Why not?

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark
                                       - Mike Lorrey