[extropy-chat] ILE: life just got a little more complicated

Reason reason at exratio.com
Wed Nov 5 06:40:47 UTC 2003

Bradbury

> Terminology:
> ILE: Indefinite Lifespan Extension -- preferable to
> "IMMORTALITY" because IMMORTALITY can take too many
> hits based on the physics of the universe.  (Protons
> decaying, expansion accelerating, black holes consuming
> everything else, yada yada yada...).
>
> Ok, now one of the serious questions that people should
> be concerned with with respect to ILE is precisely *how*
> do I get my cake.  For those of us on the upside end of
> 40, or perhaps 30, cryonics enters into the equation.
>
> *But* as some of us know cryonics becomes pretty *iffy*
> if the legal authorities stick their fingers into the works.
> (Cases in point range from the current situation regarding
> the Martinot's in France to the case of Dora Kent in the past.)

I think I would go so far as to say that the entirety of the "cake or not"
question revolves around government interference. My take is that we're
probably 30 years away from the start of aging as a chronic but controlled
condition, *IF* there are clear skies and freedom for fundraising, activism,
education and research. There are no show-stopping hurdles beyond a lot of
work and a lot of money - exactly the same thing that could have been said
about cancer 30 years ago.

This time could easily double if politicians and anti-progress forces really
dig in and fight seriously to halt medical progress towards ILE...which they
show all the signs of doing. Already, scientific progress in regenerative
medicine is far behind where it could have been.

Reason
http://www.exratio.com