[extropy-chat] The world as a Sim ? Irrelevant

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Wed Nov 5 12:33:25 UTC 2003

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky writes:

> This world could easily be a computer simulation, but if so
> it is a simulation of a  world without ESP.

I reckon (without believing) that it is NOT a sim and could
NOT easily be a sim.

I think that to entertain the notion that it is is to run the risk of
repeating (now dead) Pascal's wager and betting the same
wrong way. Of betting that there is a super-natural being that
is going to come to the rescue like Santa Claus. I prefer to
work with friends and the resources that I have, rather than
fret over the resources I don't have. I am not malicious and
I will deal with maliciousness if I must with resolution and
ferocity of my own.

I can see no advantage or change in my habits that I would
make if I thought the world was a sim. I would probably have
more allies and friends if less people entertained the sim
hypothesis so much but so be it.

I think that if no-one can come up with a reliable test, (group
test - science or solitary test - pure reason) to see if the world
is a sim then it would be better to step around what looks like
an iteration of the same old mindfuk, to put away childish
things and to concentrate minds and energies on the tasks
at hand.

Regards,
Brett