[extropy-chat] HISTORY: Solved & Unsolved Riddles

scerir scerir at libero.it
Wed Nov 5 18:24:07 UTC 2003

> What are some riddles that some bear light,
> or a shadow, on our extropic transhumanity?
> Natasha

Erwin Schroedinger, in "Nature and the Greeks"
Cambridge University Press, 1954, p.93, writes:

'The scientific picture of the real world around me is very
deficient. It gives a lot of factual information, puts all our
experience in a magnificently consistent order, but is ghastly
silent about all and sundry that is really near to our heart,
that really matters to us. It cannot tell us a word about
red and blue, bitter and sweet, physical pain and physical
delight; it knows nothing of beautiful and ugly, good or bad,
God and eternity. Science sometimes pretends to answer questions
in these domains, but the answers are very often so silly that
we are not inclined to take them seriously.'

I do not know whether the above is a 'riddle', a page of naive
philosophy, a moment of discomfort. Nevertheless it seems, to
me, a good question. Maybe it is also a question about subjects
and objects.