[extropy-chat] The world as a Sim ? Irrelevant

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Wed Nov 5 21:13:17 UTC 2003

> Eliezer S. Yudkowsky writes:
>
> > This world could easily be a computer simulation, but if so
> > it is a simulation of a  world without ESP.
>
> then Brett proceeds to climb all over him.

Wasn't my intent I am not sure whether yours is a common
view.

> When I read Eliezer's post, and the above sentence, never
> did I get the mpression that he was truly considering -- with
> any favor whatever -- the sim view. I got the impression
> that he was making the point that the sim  view - though
> highly unlikely in the extreme - had more of a chance of being
> correct than anything like ESP.
>
> Perhaps in such a place as this, one's finger belongs on the
> trigger guard, not the trigger.

In a place like this there is zero possibility of really getting shot.
Such is definately NOT the case everywhere. There is great
opportunity to learn and to teach and to empower and be
empowered. My working conception is more of an academy
with Eliezer (and many others) as simultaneously good teacher
and good student.

> Or, am I ignorant of previous posts by Eliezer which, having
> chaffed poor  Brett in the past, render Brett understandable
> sensitive to the touch?

I am ignorant of all the things that you are ignorant of :-) But
thanks for the insights - and perhaps I am going a little over the
top and hogging the bandwidth.

Regards,
Brett