[extropy-chat] Depressing thought of the day

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Nov 5 21:35:08 UTC 2003

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 03:32:01PM -0600, kevinfreels at hotmail.com wrote:
> How often do you choose to attack the spam sender rather than delete the

It is not trivial to parse the headers reliably, and to trace back to the
point of origin.

Way back, when Windows had consistency of swiss cheese, I used to winnuke
systems who sent me spam. Then, I realized in most cases it was just some
random dialup user who'd inherited the spammer's IP address who got BSODed. This still
applies today, and it's not obvious it's okay to nuke machines taken over by
spammers, or running open relays (some vigilantes may disagree).

What would be good is to have the spammer's HTML page be aggressively crawled
by robots, but it would be trivial to do a DDoS against a legitimate site by
sending a spam in their name.

The problem is not simple, so any single simple solution will not be
sufficient. Several adaptive solutions would do, if deployed widely.

ICBM: 48.07078, 11.61144 http://www.leitl.org