[extropy-chat] Depressing thought of the day

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Thu Nov 6 00:26:00 UTC 2003

This is *important* bacause it contains key insights from
very bright people -- (G & E. and indirectly Eugen).

> Getting rid of spam may well be as difficult as developing active shields
> against gray goo. Spam is a moving target: as soon as we devise a good
> filter for today's spam, they will devise a way around. As soon as we
> develop a super AI that recognizes spam, they will develop a better AI to
> produce subliminal advertising bases on those nuances of human psycology
> that have not be incorporated in the AI design.
> The bad guys are as smart as the good guys, this is not likely to change too
> soon. I think we will still have bad guys after the singularity.

The "bad" guys are as smart as the "good" guys.   The question
becomes are there more "good" guys than "bad" guys?  One would
suppose in an organized, civilized society we (good) outnumber
them (bad).  When that condition ceases to hold you -- and I mean
each and every extropian should become very very worried.  Most of
you are not watching the current power play in Russia -- and how
many of you have reflected on how that might impact Alcor?
If you do not see the possible connections you are betting
with your life.

R.