[extropy-chat] Depressing Thought. from Laurence of Berkeley

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 7 04:09:58 UTC 2003

Ja I was aware of that, but there is an interesting
impact of all that Nigerian spam: people are having
constantly reinforced the notion that one can *never*
invest *any* capital in any African nation.  There are
too many people eager to steal any pile of money
in sight.

But other than that, Nigeria isn't much like the U.S.  {8^D

The spammers are doing unimaginable damage to any
possible future development in Africa and pretty
much every other currently underdeveloped nation.
As far as I know, there are no huge corporations
in Nigeria.  Now there may never be any.

As for government action to stop spam, the government
is perfectly helpless to stop spam.  The fed must
work within the framework of the constitution, and
it will quickly get tangled up in free speech issues
if it does much.  Lawrence from Berkeley made a
curious contention, being as how he is in Taxifornia
and must have noticed the debacle this state has
just been thru.  The government cannot help us.
This state's government cannot get any more money,
yet it's expenses are going up.  Consequently, the
Taxifornia state government cannot even maintain
the services that it has been providing for so
many years, never mind take up any new tasks,
such as inforcing spam restrictions.

Note carefully my claim: the state *may raise
taxes* but it *cannot* take in any more money.
We must look elsewhere for solutions to spam.