[extropy-chat] HISTORY: Solved & Unsolved Riddles

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Sat Nov 8 19:37:29 UTC 2003

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003, JDP wrote:

> > > Because you are here to ask.
> >
> > If I ask "Why are my pants on fire?" it probably means that my pants are
> > on fire, since, after all, if my pants were not on fire I would not be
> > asking the question.  But this does not answer the question of *why* my
> > pants are on fire.

Commenting on this probably rates as one of the most stupid
things I have ever done in my life.  Wading in between
Eli, Samantha and a Frenchperson (no offense Jacques
I just tend to stereotype you as having strong opinions --
my potentially politically incorrect opinion).

Now, with respect to the comments....

"Why are my pants on fire?" -- because your pants are on fire ninny.
A sufficient number of flamable elements within your pants reached
the temperature that spontaneous oxidation given the makeup of the
atmosphere could occur.

Pick a different molecular makeup for your pants; pick a
different atmosphere.  And your pants are not on fire.

Why?  You are in the wrong place (oxidative atmosphere) wearing
the wrong clothes (flamable pants) not carrying an appropriate fire
extinguisher.

The question of *why* your pants are on fire is one of simple
chemistry.  It is the release of free energy (do a google on
Gibbs Free Energy).

R.