[extropy-chat] VR-BAR: Harv's back!

ABlainey at aol.com ABlainey at aol.com
Sun Nov 9 03:55:26 UTC 2003

mail at harveynewstrom.com writes:

> > Welcome back Harvey, That is some serious list of credentials you
> > have amassed. Congrats on the latest.
>
> Thanks.  I am seriously interested in security.  I am analyzing security as
> an engineering problem with requirements, standards, principles,
> methodology, and verification.  Most security consultants don't have the
> scientific or engineering background to do more than be consumers of other
> people's security products.  I also am trying to cover all the different
> kinds of security.  Creating security, auditing security, managing security,
> assessing security, consulting about security, and operating security are
> different skills.
>
> What is interesting to me is that security is not an end in itself.  It is a
> tool that can be used for any endeavor, just like logic, the scientific
> method, etc.  Security measures a bunch of different attributes, how well
> they are implemented, the risk of failure, and improvement methods for
> success.  There are standard requirements for security, and a bunch of
> different security attributes that can be analyzed and addressed separately.
>
> I think these security methods can be applied to transhumanist endeavors,
> such as developing AI, controlling nanotechnology, mitigating dangerous
> technologies, evaluating knowledge accuracy, etc.  I plan to further
> investigate these ideas in the future.  Getting credentials in different
> types of security is just the first step.
>
> --

All very good stuff. Its nice to see someone that takes all aspects of
security seriously, as I do myself. It is most definitely an area which most people
see as not much more than a necessary evil. Even with events over the last
couple of years and a greater general awareness of security needs, both physical
and electronic. there is still an underlying tone of ambivalence and half
arsed efforts when it comes to security issues.
I wouldn't mind getting a few credentials and seriously getting into the
field myself.

Alex