[extropy-chat] Depressing Thought. from Laurence of Berkeley

Rik van Riel riel at surriel.com
Sun Nov 9 22:48:00 UTC 2003

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003, Spike wrote:

> Corporations are collections of people making a living,
> creating wealth by making things, creating jobs and
> wellbeing.  Corporations are our friends!

That would be so nice, if only it were true.

Every day in the news we can see corporations doing the
exact opposite:  creating wealth by buying laws that
stifle innovation;  creating cartels to keep creativity
out of the marketplace;  moving operations to cheaper
labour countries overseas, where they don't have any
obligations to create a wellbeing for their employees.

Sure, these corporations still create some wealth, but
only for the people at the top, not for society.

Rik