[extropy-chat] Luddite Leadership: The New Atlantis

Greg Burch gregburch at gregburch.net
Mon Nov 10 00:44:03 UTC 2003

All extropians should be aware of a new journal called "The New Atlantis."

http://www.thenewatlantis.com/index.html

The inaugural issue (they're now on No. 2) had a leading editorial by arch-bioluddite Leon Kass.  I STRONGLY urge all of our members to read this piece, as it is one of the most eloquent statements of the anti-progress mentality you'll find, as well as one by a man who has real power over public policy in the U.S. (through his leadership position on the President's Council on Biotechnology and his position as THE spokesman for bio-luddism among the current political leaders in America).

There are other articles that will inlfame anyone who shares the basic transhumanist agenda, but are also vitally important.  There's an article by Adam Keiper

http://www.thenewatlantis.com/archive/2/keiper.htm

that shows a very good grasp of the possibilities of Drexlerian nanotechnology.  What's important here is not what the article is (other, similarly clued-in articles are becoming common outside the narrow confines of transhumania), but WHERE it is.  "The New Atlantis" has clearly been formed as a rallying point for the anti-progress party, and that they are zeroing in on Drextech should give us all cause for concern.

Another article in the first issue deals with transhumanism square-on, calling it "extinctionism" because it posits progress beyond the human:

http://www.thenewatlantis.com/archive/1/rubin.htm

This article discusses Moravec and Kurzweil and will set the teeth of a transhumanist on edge, but again, what's important is that the discussion is happening in a forum designed to define policy.

I urge all of you to become familiar with this site: It is the anti-extropy.

My blog: http://www.gregburch.net/burchismo.html