[extropy-chat] Luddite Leadership: The New Atlantis

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Mon Nov 10 05:23:01 UTC 2003

Greg Burch wrote:

> [...]

No but, what about in say the GMO, GE and stem cell areas?

What do you think of the possibility of brokering-the-future in
these areas using bi-lateral trade agreements?

> and the folks who make business policy in the
> BigPharma companies are notoriously short-sighted; I doubt
> human augmentation is really on their radar screens yet, so
> they don't have a position.

I agree on BigPharma and human augmentation.

> No, I'm referring to the cultural opponents of the transumanist
> agenda, the same note I've been sounding for some time:
>
> http://www.gregburch.net/progress.html

Thanks Greg.

Perhaps without having read the New Atlantis but having read
some of Kass' writings on the Presidents Council of Bioethics,
my feeling is maybe - lots more rope to Kass - let him and those
like him help raise the level of public awareness - a bit of Hegelian
dialectic may be good for transhumanism if it gives the media some
theatre around which to report-  and once folks realise what is on
offer (ie. when the technological feasibility is less in dispute) then the
citizen voters of the west will start joining the dots for themselves.
Right now I'm more concerned that the citizen-voters haven't got a
clue what is on offer and so they vote against or to ban what they
don't understand which is nearly everything. The best thing for
the transhumanism memeset to get reported and to straighten itself
out may be a worthy adversary.

This is not necessarily a deeply considered opinion (on Kass and
New Atlantis anyway).

Regards,
Brett