[extropy-chat] HISTORY: Solved & Unsolved Riddles

Max M maxm at mail.tele.dk
Mon Nov 10 08:43:10 UTC 2003

The Avantguardian wrote:

> Natasha wrote:
> "What are some riddles that some bear light, or a shadow, on our extropic
> transhumanity?"

> 3. Why is all life on earth asymmetric at a molecular level. The amino
>  acids that make up proteins on earth all have a "left-handed"
>  (levorotary) chirality and the sugars that make up carbohydrates are
>  "right-handed" (dextrorotary). This is quite literally an extropic
>  riddle because in any standard synthesis reaction occuring in nature
>  (enzymatic reactions don't count because enzymes themselves are
>  composed of these asymmetrically "left-handed" amino acids and you
>  get the chicken or the egg problem) the resulting molecules are a
>  racemic mixture i.e. composed of equal amounts of "left-handed" and
>  "right-handed" molecules.

That is most likely because it uses a to simplistic view of the chemical
pathways, and chemicals included.

There are other ways to create asymetric chemistry than those two. Some
of those results in chemical isomers that are much alike, but has
different chemical properties. Very often you end up with a mixture that
is a balance. Not a complete reaction.

Most likely some of these compounds plays nicer with some of the
assymetric proteins than with others. Over a few generations that should
give a significant difference.

regards Max M