[extropy-chat] Honing in on the pod door

JDP jacques at dtext.com
Mon Nov 10 11:46:18 UTC 2003

Brett Paatsch wrote:

> Damien (a VERY helpful pedant) writes:
>
> [Brett]
>
>>>[Note: Jacques - your arguments below imo are honing in now
>>>on the nub
>>
>>While we're discussing the utility and accuracy of the word `belief',
>>I'll throw in the nagging observation that when people say `honing'
>>in this way they almost always mean `homing'. You hone a blade,
>>you even hone an argument (make it sharper), but you home in on
>>a target.
>

> Sorry and thank you sir  ;-)

Yes, thanks Damien. After looking up "honing" and "nub" in a dictionary,
I had to resort to guessing to understand what Brett meant. It's a
problem I have from time to time on the list: I don't know English well
enough to understand the mistakes, too. Brett: I'll try to answer this
evening, as I will be too busy till then. But I can already let you know
of the summary: you are wrong. (just kidding)

Jacques