[extropy-chat] Social Implications of Nanotech

Robin Hanson rhanson at gmu.edu
Mon Nov 10 18:12:36 UTC 2003

In September 2000, the NSF held a Workshop on "Societal Implications of
Nanoscience and Nanotechnology", and soon after issued a
report:  http://wtec.org/loyola/nano/NSET.Societal.Implications/   I
complained about that report, and so and have been invited to participant
in the next version of the conference, being held December 3-5, 2003 (with
abstracts due Nov. 17).

I haven't been thinking much about this topic for a while, and so I thought
I'd strike up a conversation here to see what current thinking is and to
refresh my mind.

An easy simple opinion to have is that nanotech won't have much in the way
of specific social implications.  In this view, manufacturing will slowly
become more precise and more automated, as it has for centuries, and so the
social implications of nanotech are subsumed by the social implications of
generally improving tech, and any specific products that enables.

Another opinion that I've heard has more distinct social implications,
though I'm not sure how many people (still?) take it seriously.  It is
described in the novel "Diamond Age" and in several books by Drexler and
company.  In that vision, future manufacturing becomes much like how PCs
are used today.  People have personal general manufacturing devices (PGMD,
I'll call them) close to home, and most consumer goods are produced locally
on PGMDs, via downloaded designs and a few general feedstocks.   A
variation on this position posits that PGMDs can produce more PGMDs
relatively quickly.  And a refinement of this position posits that such
self-reproducing PGMDs dramatically lowers costs relative to technology
available just prior to this point.

I'll focus my musings for now on this Drexlerian scenario, though I'm
interested to hear if there are others that are taken seriously.  Here are
some tentative observations, in no particular order:

1.  It is often assumed that a world of PGMDs is one of marginal costs near
the cost of feedstocks, with the main fixed cost being the cost of
design.  But this depends crucially on the PGMDs being typically used well
below capacity, as most PCs are today.  Most manufacturing plants today
have a pretty low marginal cost, in terms of how much you save if you
operate them below capacity.  But since the plants are used near capacity,
this makes them little like software or other goods that really do have a
low marginal cost of production.

2.  A big question is by what factor general manufacturing devices are less
efficient than specialized manufacturing devices, either in terms of
production time, material waste, or final product quality.  The bigger this
factor is, the larger need to be the scale economies in the production of
PGMDs for them to dominate.  At the moment most manufacturing devices are
really quite specialized.

3.  PGMDs embody almost *fully* automated manufacturing - if they need
people to step in frequently to diagnose and fix assembly line problems,
they become much less attractive.  While many manufacturing plants today
are highly automated, it may cost quite a lot to produce designs for fully
automated production processes.  So design costs may be a lot higher.

4.  The manufacturing fraction of the cost of most consumer goods today is
rather small (15%), and only part (~1/3) of those manufacturing costs now
are the physical capital, rather than labor and design.  So it is not clear
how just lowering those manufacturing costs will have a huge effect on the
economy.

5.  If the cost of designing and building an effective self-reproducing
PGMD is much higher that of ordinary PGMDs, there might be plenty of
ordinary ones around before any self-reproducing ones appear, minimizing
the social impact of this transition.

Assistant Professor of Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323